Quote:
Originally posted by Samueul:
Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor_Kevin:
[b]I can't believe the airplane on a treadmill is even a debate. Of course it can't take off. If it did, it would be hovering, not flying.

C'mon people!
How does a vtol plane like the harrier jump jet fly. It hovers then as the engine "ports" are slowly turned rearward, it gains forward thrust and momentum and flys. It's the same principle. The belt under a plane makes no difference.[/b]
A VTOL or STOVL (Short TakeOff Vertical Landing) is a special case, and it uses thrust to take off. Most planes use lift to take off. To generate lift, you need sufficient air moving over the wings to overcome the force of gravity.

So I will agree with you that a VTOL can take off from a treadmill, but you might as well add helicopter to this category.

I will also say that maybe a STOVL or a plane with a thrust to weight ratio greater than 1 could do it.

But there is no way you are going to take off in a plane with a low thrust to weight ratio, when the aircraft depends on the lift generated by the wings to achieve flight.