Quote:
Originally posted by chumpmann:
it isnt asking if the engines power the wheels.
I know that they dont.
Your saying that a plane is on a set of rollers that dont move in the opposite direction...

"This conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane's
speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but
in the opposite direction)."

If you are saying that the wheels are moving twice as fast, then the conveyer is not matching the planes speed. the plane is going faster.

Doesnt matter what pushes the plane, if it can not get the air resistnace ( due to the Conveyer belt moving AT THE SAME speed in the opposite direction) under the wings It will not take off.
Okay. Maybe this will help.

Pretend you're holding a toy plane in your hand. You go "vroom vroom vroom", and make the plane fly all over the Toy Section at WalMart. With me?

Okay. Your hand is the engine. It's the thrust. Remember this.

Now: You walk with mommy over to the exercise equipment section. Oooh! Cool treadmills, mommy!

You see one running. You put your little toy plane on the treadmill. Oooooh! See how the tires spin!?

Now a saleslady comes over, and turns the treadmill up faster (I don't know why -- that's not safe, you crazy bitch, you'll rip a kid's hand off that way) . . . I digress.

So the treadmill is moving faster. Whee! Oh, the plane's wheels are moving faster too!

Now, you move the plane forward with your hand (thrust). Notice that the plane's wheels are still spinning?! Oooh! The plane is going, like, 500 mph, so fast! And the treadmill is spinning 500 mph in the opposite direction! So fast, mommy! And yet, you are able to easily move the plane forward for takeoff . . .

The treadmill/conveyor belt/rollers/towel rack/bowl of spaghetti/luscious tits/used condom storage rack has NO EFFECT on the plane itself.

Any of that getting through?