Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Bah...just plunk down the $1300 or so for the LG BH-100 and be done with it. laugh
Or you could be two stand alone players to less money, and better performance.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mnemonic:
HD players may be cheaper, but their disks aren't. The average price on amazon is $40.60 on HD-DVD and $27.20 on blu-ray.
Completely false – they are both priced about the same.

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
[b]Doc, my point is, it's CHEAPER to make a HD-DVD. But if you look at a retail store, the HD-DVD prices are the SAME as Blue-Ray.
Which player is cheaper?[/b]
HD-DVD players are.

Which digital music player is cheapest? An ipod or other?

Cheapness of the player doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it... If the media costs the same, the "cheaper" of the players only has that going for it. That's not enough to make it mainstream.

People that spend thousands on a TV & home stereo system don't give a rats difference between $250 for a bottom-of-the-line HD-DVD player vs. $500 for a Blue-Ray player. Price isn't going to be the driving factor for which one wins. But it could be a driving factor for which one doesn't win, as in, if price is the only thing going for HD-DVD (it is), good luck to 'em.

Let me give you an example:

I can buy a Yugo, or I can buy a Nissan. Both will get me to my location. Yugo is cheaper.

Guess which company doesn't exist anymore... [LOL]

If cost is the driving factor, both formats will fail, because DVD's are cheaper than either.[/b]
Your Yugo/Nissan is not a valid comparison. Yugo failed because it was a bad car, and it was not in direct competition with Nissan. By all reports, the Toshibas are excellent players.