Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
Quote:
[b]The issue in terms of movies is lousy black performance.
That's true of any technology other than CRT, but people are still buying flat screens by the drove's [Uh Oh !] [/b]
There's degrees, however. High end consumer RPTV's (most 1080p DLP/LCoS) have a 10,000:1 contrast ratio. I've got a Sony LCoS set and the blacks are very good, and the shadow detail is exceptional. A properly tuned CRT may slightly exceed it in the former and may come close in the latter, but not by much on either count. In other respects I've never seen a RPCRT TV come close in overall PQ, and I've not just seen the uncalibrated stuff in the stores (most of which looks like crap). Of course, the the CRT's cost half as much so there's a cost-benefit analysis everybody needs to undertake. I came to the conclusion that I'd rather spend a little extra and get what I think it the superior set (no color uniformity issues whatsoever on my set, btw).

Plasmas are also good in contrast ratio and black performance. As far as I'm aware, most LCD flat panels still fall into the 2,000:1 - 3,000:1 contrast ratio range, and I've personally never seen one that can make a black look any better than a dark grey.

My comment about response time could have been off base with today's TV's.