Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
A properly tuned CRT may slightly exceed it in the former and may come close in the latter, but not by much on either count. In other respects I've never seen a RPCRT TV come close in overall PQ, and I've not just seen the uncalibrated stuff in the stores (most of which looks like crap).
A properly calibrated CRT will blow away any other technology out there. A home tuned CRT (throw a DVD in and run through the calibration screens) will easily match any other technology out there.

Don\'t just take my word for it...

Stores love to fuck with the settings on sets, and they really like to make CRT RPTV's look like crap - the profit margin on them is much less. I spent five minutes tweaking the picture quality of the set I eventually bought and people walking by were amazed at the picture - someone intentionally screwed up the settings and hosed the convergence from inside the service menu - luckily I knew how to go in there and reset everything to factory defaults. That's why it's critical to get a set from a store with a liberal return policy, and if you don't like the way it looks in your house, take it back!

Quote:
Of course, the the CRT's cost half as much so there's a cost-benefit analysis everybody needs to undertake. I came to the conclusion that I'd rather spend a little extra and get what I think it the superior set (no color uniformity issues whatsoever on my set, btw).
Well, it was four times more expensive to get an LCOS set the same size as my CRT (56"). I hope your color stays uniform - Sony has had a hell of a time with their light engines - I saw enough green blob reports that I decided it wasn't worth it, that I would just hang out for a couple more years with CRT and let the price of everything else come down some more.

I'm sure quite a bit of the fuss was the usual negativity amplification that happens on the Internet, but at $800 vs. over $3400, it was a super easy decision to make smile

Now that I have a series three Tivo, I'm really enjoying my set even more - I may never leave the house cool