OK, there are guys out there that spend every waking minute thinking about computers. They know every brand and every model, their ups and downs and little quirks...I'm not one of them. So I come to you for help.

The wife is going to start working from home. step one: purchase notebook computer. Here's the criteria:

1. something with a decent size screen (maybe 17"?)
2. Needs to run all the typical Office programs word, excel, etc. as well as more intense programs related to her field (civil eng) like AutoCAD & Arcview.
3. basic model - no fancy extras necessary.
4. target price is around $1,000 or less.

She found one at Circuit City she liked with a 17" screen by acer... I think I've heard of them before but always had the impression they were a little "micky-mouse"

on Dell's website they're having a big sale on notebooks right now (ends tomorrow) but I'm not sure they have anything with a 17" screen that's affordable..I'll have to look some more.

I'm smart enough to figure out software system requirements and I can compare memory, processor speeds, DVD/CD, options, but that's about it.

What I really need guidance from someone who knows computers... Is acer a brand to stay away from? Is it like buying a older Toyota.. you know you'll probably get engine sludge? or the old HP's where you knew the hard drive was going to fail in a year?

next up.. routers, but we'll save that for after she buys the darn thing.

thanks!