The PS3 is 1 million units behind (30%)where the 360 was at the same time last year in US sales. They've only sold 2.2 million consoles, Meanwhile Nintendo has sold 5.7 million, and the 360 has added nearly 5 million consoles in that the past year. ( US only numbers ).

The only way that the PS3 numbers can compare is if you include Japan, where they are still being crushed by Nintendo.

Unless the PS3 has a huge holiday surge the console is done in the US, It just won't be able to overtake the 360. I don't expect that to happen even with the price drops. I'd expect both the Wii and 360 to double up the PS3 numbers this season in the US. If Sony wants to become competitive in the US market they must outsell the 360 2 to 1 this holiday season, which I simply don't see happening.

The PS3 came in at too high of a price point, too late, and there have been no compelling exclusive titles for it in the US.

HD-DVD has hit the sub $100 player market as of today, and now Blu-ray is going to have to follow suit if they want to win that war. If sony wants to try to continue to sell Blu-Ray at a higher price because it's supposedly a superior product they'll lose there as well. The fact that you can get a dedicated player for under $100 seriously undermines any idea that the PS3 is an extreme value for it's Blu-ray capability.

If you want to argue that the PS3 is doing just fine by looking at world-wide numbers you're ignoring that the largest segment of the market is the US, and that's what drives the games most of us are buying and playing. Wii has done a great job on all fronts, and the 360 has done a great job in the US. The PS3 hasn't excelled in any market yet.