Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzo:
Got my X the first of July ('03, 4X4, 3.3L V-6). Currently have about 2400 miles on it so far. Haven't kept great records, but mine is averaging around 17MPG in mostly town driving with some highway. My old truck ('00 Frontier Crew Cab, 3.3L V6, 2X4) ran about the same going up to about 20MPG on the highway. I agree, and noticed the same with my Frontier, that the mileage will go up some after the first oil change. So I expect mine to go up slightly in a couple of months. I'll try to report back after my first oil change and I find out if it did.

BTW - With the way the 4X4 system works, as long as you keep it out of 4WD and keep the XFer case unlocked, why should the mileage be lower than a 2X4? Technically, aren't the same at this point?

Someone mentioned using Mobil 1. What does this do to the warranty? How did it effect your mileage?

Gonzo
The 4x4 probably weighs a bit more then the 4x2 - I don't have the GVW of the 4x2 X to compare, but I'm sure the 4x4's a bit heavier, could account for extra gas usage.

I personally still think it uses too much gas in comparison to other vehicles that are heavier with bigger engines, regardless of 4x4 or 4x2 weight.

But, I knew it's lack of mpg when I bought mine so no real biggy. I have experienced a bigger increase in mileage by changing to Bosch oil filters though, in both my Suv's.

The X was averaging 15mpg on short highway travels, no real city driving, now gets close to 16mpg.

My other truck is heavier then the X, but is a 4x2 and was getting 22-24mpg highway, and 21-22 city, now averaging 24-26mpg highway and 23 city.

I don't use Synthetic in either vehicle, rather Havoline 10w-30