Did the dealer say who makes it? Is it a synthetic? $12 is a lot if it's not synthetic, if it is then that's the best price you're going to find on a synthetic 75W-85.

I posted somewhere else that there are lots of 75W-85 GL-4 lubes, but none are available in the U.S. through regular retail outlets; probably because so few people even buy cars with manual transmissions in this country anymore! frown The best I've found is Castrol SynTorq, which is sold through GM and Chrysler dealers as the only approved oil for the NV4500 transmissions they use. It runs $20-$30 per quart! I use it in my Xterra and it's absolutely the best gear oil I've ever used, but I don't know if I would spend that much again.

The next closest match that you can find retail is Redline MTL, which is a 70W-80+ GL-4 lube. The viscosity numbers are lower, but according to Redline it has similar performance to a 70W-85 lubricant. Plenty of Nissan people use it without problems.

Anyway, after switching to 75W-85 I can see why Nissan changed the oil spec. on the tranny. It definately works much better than the 75W-90.