Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
I think Frank's bad wrap came from not being able to do it with his players. He inherited a top 10 program and after those players left, well, you know the rest of the story. Talent's never been an issue at Nebraska. They actually have a lot of talent this year... just look at the top recruiting classes from 2004 on. It's all about the X's and O's and Calahan is the one that's not getting it done (yet, they gave him an extension at the beginning of the year for being average [Freak] ). Just look at Boise State, South Florida, BC, etc... you can win without talent. If you have talent, there's really no excuse. Maybe that's on the AD for highering him, keeping him, giving him an extension, etc... but I say it's more on the coach than the AD. Just my 2 cents.
That is where frank gets his bad rap, no doubt. But looking at it logically it was his 5th year, and initially you have to expect some sort of letdown in recruiting when a coach like Osborne leaves. I think we were seeing that lull at that point, and things had picked back up. You look at the guys playing in the NFL now, with a competent coaching staff, you have to wonder what might have been. There were also other internal issues with some long time assistants which were corrected in Solich's final year there...

The only point I'm making is saying that Solich's hire was a mistake isn't something I totally buy. Teams can go down the tube a lot quicker than they did with him if you truly have a guy who can't coach well. We had a rough year in 2002, (but not nearly as bad as we've seen since) and it seems rough years go around like the flu in college football.

We were spoiled, hired an over-zealous AD who had the intention to make his mark on the program, and mistakes were made. Now Osborne is going to attempt to start to fix them... I'd take him over just about anyone else to handle this problem.