Interesting tidbit from Si.com....

Did the Oregon coaching staff know that Dennis Dixon had a torn ACL going into the Arizona game? If so, why is there no criticism of the fact that they played a guy knowing that this was a huge risk for his pro career. I know they are playing for a national title, but what about the long-term health and financial ramifications for Dixon?
--Cristian, Washington D.C.

It's a good question. When the news first came out over the weekend that Dixon had indeed attempted to play with a torn ACL, my reaction, like a lot peoples, was "Wow ... what a warrior!" As the details surrounding his injury started to emerge, however, I found myself wondering whether Ducks coach Mike Bellotti temporarily lost his mind.

All parties apparently knew the extent of Dixon's injury shortly after it occurred late in the Nov. 3 Arizona State game. After consulting with two doctors, Dixon opted to delay surgery and attempt to keep playing and asked the school not to publicly disclose the ACL diagnosis. I don't blame a 22-year-old athlete in the thick of both national title and Heisman contention for wanting to continue competing, but Bellotti is a 56-year-old adult charged with protecting his players' welfare. You would think he would have interceded. Instead, Bellotti told reporters after the fact, "I took myself out of it. That was Dennis' decision, and the doctors clearing him."

You did what? You're the head coach and you "took yourself out of" the most important decision of your season? I have no medical training, so it's not for me to surmise whether the doctors should or should not have cleared Dixon to play, but it does seem puzzling that team doctor Robert Crist told The Oregonian after the fact that Dixon could have sustained damage to other ligaments and if so, "could never completely recover from the injury."

Presumably, Bellotti was made aware of that risk, yet opted not only to allow Dixon to play but then actively engaged in a public cover-up of the injury, even after the QB went down against Arizona. As a writer who was there that night told me, Bellotti -- knowing full well the severity of what had just happened -- told reporters with a straight face: "I don't know the degree [of the injury]. I haven't talked to [the doctors] completely."

Dixon's injury was obviously extremely unfortunate both for him and the many fans around the country who'd come to enjoy watching him. The handling of it was truly bizarre.