Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
I've come to the conclusion that I'm basically against a playoff as well. I guess I wouldn't mind a +1 type of system, but I don't want to go further than that. I like the tradition of the bowl system, and enjoy watching it play out every year. This from a guy (Oregon fan who's witnessed two BCS screw-jobs) who has every reason to hate the system.
Looks like we actually agree on something!

I personally don't want a playoff system, because frankly, nobody gives a rats arse about any of the playoff games until the final one (aka, Superbowl if you're an NFL fan).

Those that argue against a playoff have a legit arguement, I think. The regular season for college football is the best regular season for ANY sport. With so much on the line every week, every game is important. With basketball, they play 20+ games... Lose one or two, or even 5 or 6, and you'll STILL make it into the tournament at the end of the year and have a chance for the title. So the regular season doesn't mean as much at all; you just have to be one of the top 65 teams during the reg. season...

So if there were a 6 or 8 game playoff, then all you'd have to do is be a top 8 team and you're in. Think of it as if you were the #3 team undefeated going into the last season of the game against the #4 team w/ 1 loss. Wooptiefreakingdoo as to who wins, 'cause both of 'em would still be in the 8 team field for the "tournament".

No thank you. I'll take the regular season as is.

Bowl games are people not affiliated with the NCAA, making $$ off football teams. If they really wanted a "Champion," then the NCAA would create their own system. Problem is, there is NO NCAA sanctioned system for declaring a National Champion, whether by playoff or by bowl games. The "National Champion" is crowned by the media, and the NCAA has absolutely nothing to do with it, unlike every other sport. That's the way it's been for well over 100 years. Why f* around with it, now?