In NJ, they now JUST check emissions, NOTHING else.

OBD and tail pipe stuff, that's it.

(Budget cuts)

They USED to crawl all over the rigs...bulbs, stickers, window tint, brakes, shocks, etc...very very picky in the past.

It seems that with the emissions/computer part of the process now, instead of engine swaps requiring, tools, beer and pizza, you need to make the new list include tools, beer pizza and programming.

Your best bet now a days is to find a pre-OBD rig...and mod that...as they can't do deek about it...the VIN will be exempt.

If you do even a SAME MODEL SWAP, it gets to be messy.

It seems that if you go with the engine's harness, and abandon the truck's harness...the engine lights, etc are happier.

Obviously, if close enough to work, you can do either.

I had to do some voodoo to get my '03 engine from a rolled automagical trannied rig to stop lighting up the dash on my manual trannied '01.

The experts at the CPU places were dead wrong about what would / would not work.

laugh

Essentially, if you find the specs for current/ohms and whatnot for the sensors feeding the info to the cpu/obd system...you can, um, create input as needed.

Garbage in, passed inspection out.

laugh

I finally PASSED my inspection after a coupla years of trial and error.

The secret is to rest the codes, and then go in...they read the OBD, and say...it has not been long enough for the codes to be ready to read...come back in 30 days....

...rinse/repeat.

(There's no limit as to how many of these repeats you can get...)

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif