Just traded my old 2003 in last week for a 2011. This one came with factory XM but it is completely loosing the signal quite a bit when I’m not under any obstructions (trees, tall building etc) and the audio is distorted when it does get signal. You can especially hear it when the DJ’s are talking and in the higher notes of songs.

The XM antenna is actually under the roof rack’s air dam and roof lights but I’m not sure if having those above it is causing the interference or if there is something wrong with the antenna or one of the other components.

I had a plug and play Sirius radio connected to my previous Xterra with the antenna raised about 6” above the roof on a bracket and did not have any trouble around trees, buildings and even inside parking garages. However this factory one is loosing signal even while on the highway without trees and under things like overhangs in drive thrus.

Went to the dealership yesterday and a tech rode with me. The radio cut out several times and I pointed out the distortion. When we got back he said he honestly did not know allot about the satellite radio system and looked to see if there were any TSBs on the XM radios. Only thing he found was something about the signal being blocked when around buildings but did not offer any further solution.

I am going to try taking off the gear basket and air dam / lights setup and drive for a day to see if that helps before I go back and ask them to try replacing the antenna or the receiver.

Anyone else with factory XM with the antenna under the roof rack having a similar problem?

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold