Originally Posted By: RNTKnives
Is everyone forgetting that a "mud & snow" tire is a fallacy? These 2 things require very differant tire properties.

A mud tire needs to empty itself to keep the lugs digging in.

A snow tire needs to pack itself full, because nothing sticks to snow...except... well... snow.

Chains... really only good for snow with a frozen base layer or a thin ice top sheet. A good snow tire, along with your 4WD should be sufficient, unless it's so deep you're pushing it with the bumper. In that case you're a dumbass for being out all together.

BTW... I didn't ALWAYS live in Texas...lol

Jeff!

LOL

I think I mentioned there's actually no test of a tire to certify that its worthy of being labeled M&S anyway.

Also, the depth and softness of the snow can make an enormous difference in what "works" in it.

Essentially, the harder the snow, the less effective chunky tread blocks are...as they can't penetrate the surface to get a bite if the snow is too hard.

If the snow is soft enough to penetrate, but firm enough to form a ridge when compressed, a paddle wheeled type mud tire can actually work great.

After that, it all a question of degree.

Its one reason two people can argue endlessly over whether this tire or that tire is better in the snow.....one person's snow is a particular range of hardness and packability, and the other's is a different range.

Even the actual temperature makes a difference, as some rubber compounds stay compliant when its sub-zero, and some are as hard as rocks.

They are both potentially right, for THEIR snow.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif