Originally Posted By: XOC
Awesome. I have looked at LED lightbars and damn are they expensive.

LOL

I think that's why he wants to MAKE one.

laugh

The LEDs put out a lot of light, and use very little current to do it. They also produce a lot of heat to draw off to keep from frying the electronics.

When you add together the combination of driving the LEDs hard to maximize the light out put, and using components that can stand up to the performance, its going to get more expensive...but, for a fraction of the amps, you can get a ton of light.

A 3-5 watt LED might put out more light than a 35 watt HID, and much more light than a 150 watt halogen, etc. The LED light, for the same output, can be a lot smaller and lighter.

For some applications, the price/performance ratio tips things in favor of the HID's over halogens for example, but after a certain point, the scales tip to the LEDs...

...Hence the attraction, and, the justification of cost....to do HIDs over halogens, and LEDs over HIDs' and so forth.

laugh

For myself, as to ME, an LED was traditionally one of those teeny "shower head" type lamps that put out a feeble short range pool of light - but for practically forever.... The idea of using a high performance version that can over power an HID, etc, is attractive just for the CONCEPT to me...like winning the King of the Hammers in an Xterra.

laugh

For perspective, those Giant Spot Lights you see in the Big Box Stores that put out a "Million Candle Power", or even "5 Million Candle Power", etc...can be shamed by an LED light in real out put.

ANSI started requiring lights to be labeled wit LUMEN output ratings...not what the emitter itself made, but what the lighting device actually projected out the lens "Out The Front" lumens, or OTF Lumens, etc.

For perspective, a 5 MILLION Candle Power Spot Light might be rated at 675 Lumens.

I have a 4" long LED FLASHLIGHT in my pant pocket that puts out 750 lumens.

I have an LED driving lamp on my bumper that pumps out ~ 9,000 Lumens. (~ 6" diameter, round light) That's ~ 9,000 Lumens from ~ 90 watts.

One 150 watt halogen driving light (KC, etc) might put out 3-400 lumens, etc.

To get ~9,000 lumens from halogen driving lamps, I might need 20 of them....and a lot of amps being generated to power them....

If you figure you need ~ 25 amp fuse for each pair of 150 W lights, and so forth...

...But one 15 amp fuse can handle your one 90 watt 9,000 lumen LED light.

If I add a second light, I could have 18,000 lumens lighting up the area in front of me.

I got mine from a mining truck that needs to get in/out of the strip mining areas at night, where a misstep can plummet a truck over a 100' cliff, etc....so they kind of want to see a lot of detail about the path they are on before they are on it and it gives way, etc.

laugh

Edited by TJ (08/04/12 11:53 AM)

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif