So Im driving yesterday, and go to hit my brakes, but I get nothing.. truck only stops when I mash the pedal to the floor.. so I park the truck, get to a gas station (after I saw the fluid res. very low, bought brake fluid, filled it up.. then noticed after the brakes still didnt feel right that there is a leak on the passnager front. I have a 2001 Xterra, and the problem I found when I took off the wheel today to investigate, was that the leak was upstream. It was rotted under the heat wrap where the line comes down between the wheel well and the exaust maifold where two lines join together (looks line the first portin is metal, and it feeds into what looks like a grey plastic portion).

My question is, how to I got about replacing this? Do I need to get a whole hardline piece and replace it all the way back to "god knows where" as I havent ever dealt with brake lines before.

Im just wondering if I (a non-mechanic) can make this fix. And where I might be able to find the parts I need if it is a possibility for me to tackle this.

Thanks for any and all help on this issue!

J