Well my new ScanGauge Tool made it! I'll let ‘ya know how it works out after my trip up to the Grand Canyon but here is my initial review.

It was so simple to use the manual was almost not needed. Come on, I figured it out and I'm an Engineer so how hard could it be??? laugh

Of course it picked up one of the knock sensor codes, P038. There was a real shock.

Pretty nice as it will pull the codes and reset them for 'ya. Being a less expensive generic unit that works on most vehicles with OBDII, it only gives 'ya the code and not a description of it!

It also gives 'ya some real time data: RPM, MPH, Voltage, IAT, Water Temp, TPS, Timing, Fuel Pressure (N/A on X), MAP (N/A on X), Engine Load, and Open/Closed Loop. It also lets you choose the data in liters, Kilometers, and °C if you like.

It also has a feature to set up what kind of fuel you use such as Diesel a, Diesel b, LPG, or Gas and to add Fuel tank capacity. You can then use it as a Trip Computer giving various data such as Max Speed, Max Coolant Temp, Max Engine RPM, Avg Fuel Economy, Trip Fuel used, Trip Distance, and Trip Elapsed Time.

It also has a feature which I haven't figured out how to use yet because of course I didn't read the manual but it allows you to compensate for different size tires for your MPH and such data! hmmmm, we'll see about that...

It definitely does not give you the feel of something that would take the abuse of something you would use professionally in the shop everyday. It probably wouldn't take being dropped as most professional code readers can be with their rubber cases.

I also tried it on an Isuzu Rodeo. It read the MAP data. I didn’t realize the Xterra didn’t have a map sensor! Yes/No? It is nice in that you can use it on virtually any OBDII vehicle but it seems as though it would be better off mounted semi permanently in one vehicle! Oh well, time will tell and I'll keep 'ya posted.

Here are a few pics. Sorry they don't give you a real feel for how big it is but it's really smaller than I thought!

Oh yea, in the bottom pic I had been idling in my garage for a while and thus what I assume was a rather high IAT of 128 deg F. While I was driving it went down in the low 80s.

It also has a cool Orange Backlight that works well at night and can be turned on high, low, or off. You can also adjust the contrast!

It also allows the user I believe 10 programmable settings! You could also set it up to let’s say, see the max speed your son was driving the night before!! Now there is a feature I'm glad my parents didn't have! laugh