this is a bit similar to 'beginner 4x4' and 'wtf! (mod'd explorer thread in alr)' but thought it appropriate for 4x4 guys:

history:

i do not go 'off-roading' per se. i don't go to off-roading parks or 4-wheeling with clubs,etc. i think its cool, i tried it, but just not interested in it. most of my off-road experience is to get thru to destinations for various other activities (which, i know you guys do too).
the xterra is my first truck, so i've been learning about things i had no idea about; like flotation, articulation, low gear, etc.
i am NOT looking for a 4x4,lifted,arb'd (although that arb bumper looks cool) rig.
i do consider the off-road driving to be more severe and more frequent than the avg. suv owner- obviously, not as severe as many here. i've been thru deep mud, stuff i had to walk, water crossings- but mostly fireroad/singletrack/beaches. i've only scraped bottom once in the 4 yrs i've owned my x.
keep in mind the only changes i would make are relatively minor- tires, shocks, off-road lights,etc- because i dont want my road trip performance spoiled.

my question:
i've noticed alot of talk of the superior capability of the jeep gc. i got to ride a tacoma 4door 4x4 and was mightily impressed. it also has bfg lt's so i felt like i could compare.
i don't mind the xterra's on-road ride because its so great off. honestly, from you experienced guys, how does the xterra 4x4 compare to the toyota (4runner,tacoma), mitsu and jeep or any others you consider worthy for my situation?

i really am considering the 02 xterra- the engine choices are disappointing; tacoma 4 door- fugly grille; jgc- i have a strong feeling it would spend alot of time in a repair shop....

thanks in advance guys

------------------