Done both.

Lived life in Colorado rockies, pulled boat to slippery ramps, driven down red cone pass, and several other hair-raising adventures. Done all of it with stick (early years) and auto; and I will say, wheel-base has a LOT to do with confidence.

Granted wheel base's were not the same, nor gearing. Early 4-wheelin was done in '76 1/2 Chevy standard long-bed; as time has passed, that ole truck has long been retired. But it had been to he mad and back

Had 78 chevy 3/4, long-bed, 4-by, 350 standard - fantastic as well. Carried weight fantastically, but tricky on the boat dock with a 12' camper. Better without, but she was a heavy truck anyway. For obvious reasons, too big for trail use, but had more than her fair share of finding that perfect sandy/tree hidden area on the lake.

Now have much newer 3/4 chevy, ext. cab, 4-by, standard, 454. Standard was not first choice, but no one else in town had this truck in an auto. Won't ever be on those old trails, way too big for that.

In regards to boat docking with this truck versus the auto, or even parking the boat. Love the chevy, but would take an auto anyday. Regular mountain driving (I-70) is great, but I believe it's more the power in that big V-8 versus my daily driver/trail hugger Suv's V6's.

Both current SUV's are auto's - had these in many of the same areas as the first chevy. Slightly shorter wheelbase's (107"), much different gearing; but very good stability, and less trickiness.

Old good friend has Jeep wrangler, standard - go anywhere, do anything. But, I refuse to ride in it, feels extremely top-heavy, leans too much and just feels overall like the rear is going to topple end over end coming down steep slopes.