OK not to sound dumb but how can I tell if Im in 4 Low. I have had my X for almost a year now and have been in 4H a few times but never been in 4L. Here is the story please bare with me. Last weekend I took my girlfriend canoeing in the middle of the woods no-where. It was mostly dirt roads and a little mud and down a steep hill to get to the river bank. While we were down river there was a downpoor that lasted several hours. By time we returned and loaded up the canoe the roads were muddy and washed out. It was a perfect trail to make an experiended offroader's wet dream. Unfortunatly Im still a novice. While being very excited I was also very nervous because I was 300 miles from home and 10 miles from any gravel or pavement. I did't want to take any chances so I figured I would try 4L.
So I put it in neutral (automatic)
Then shifted the 4WD lever down.
Acording to the markings this is 4H. No problem been there done that.
Then I tried to move the 4WD lever down again it would't go down any further.
I put it in D and then tried again. No luck. I flipped the viser down followed it step by step. Even looked at the book. (meanwhile my girlfriend is freaking out because Im reading directions) Still no luck. So is the shifter supose to be in another position when I shift to 4L or does it stay down in the second position?
2H
4H
N
4L
Doesn't that mean there are 4 positions? Like a stick shift? The top is 2H and bottom 4L. If so I only seem to have two positions.

I know this may be a dumb question to some of you but please answer me anyway. Im stuck in the woods and I want to go home and writing this from my laptop. wink

Ok I made it through on 4H but maybe I won't next time.