Actually the proper method for skid recovery is very very simple. Look where you want to go and steer in that direction using a hand to hand feed method using NO BRAKES and steady on the gas.

Let me explain......

Traction can not be measured like Bhp or Torque. Traction is a relationship between the road surface and your tires. Lets say perfect dry roads and good tires are a fictional 100 units of "traction." Adeversely affect the road and that number will drop.

There are only three dynamic commands a car can perform. Acceleration, deceleration, and steering. All three of those functions will use the cars suspension to shift the weight dynamically, front, rear, left and right. If you exceed your "traction" then you will lose control of the vehicle. Stay within your limits and you will be fine. This is something that comes from training and experience and not sensor in a car will help with that. TCS, ESP, etc are all nice to have but if you dont understand basic car dynamics and how to use them you will still find yourself in a ditch.

Now back to the driving part. While in a skid the driver must maintain focus on the solution to the problem. The driver will naturally steer the care into that direction. You are using maximum "traction" for steering the car. Add throttle or decrease it and the risk of losing control increases. Granted there are situations where recovery is not possible and it is not because the roads were slick or bad weather but because someone thought they could go fast in bad weather. 4x4 does not help you at all once you start to lose the vehicle, it is actually a liability as most people who buy them dont know how to use them. A 4x4 only allows you to accelerate from a stop without losing grip on the road in a faster manner and does nothing for deceleration. A car with a new set of Arctic Alpines will stop much faster than my lifted X with BFG's.

So in summary just please slow down when the weather is bad. There is no meeting, event, or latte that is worth my familes life so you can save a few minutes.

If you want to know where I got the information above just PM me and I would be happy to refer you to a great driving school where you can learn the techniques described above that may just change your attitude and save your life.

Thanks.

Tim

Thomas Jefferson