The ride may improve with added weight, albeit, the actual handling, which to me means the terminal velocity sustainable around a curve or lateral G Force, could not be improved.

Adding weight never improves lateral acceleration. It can lower the center of gravity, but it won't lower the amount of weight pulling laterally on the rig as it tries to go around an off ramp...it will raise that weight.

So - The top of the Xterra weighs the same, you just added weight below it...

When you corner, both weights are against you.

To make a real difference, you would have to take the weight off of the top, and put it on the bottom...So the total is the same, but postioned lower.

Taking a spare tire off of the roof, and putting it under the Xterra.... for an X-ample.

I had added a Sterering Box Skids, 2 x 4 Rock Rails, Engine Skid, Gas Skid, A Steel Rear Rock Bumper, etc. to a past rig....a few hundred pounds of 1/4" to 3/16" steel plate.

It did not improve the handling. (Did not hurt it too badly to matter either)

It did seem to ride better though.

It did seem to be able to glide over/survive impacts better too.

Gas mileage actually seemed around the same, I would X-Trapolate it was equivalent to having a coupla passengers on-board, all the time.

So -Add plates to protect your rig, not to improve the handling...it's an acceptable compromise.

------------------
- TJ

2001 Xterra SE 5 Speed Gold Rush

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif